City of Fremantle


Mrs Donna Bekendam

PO Box 541

Fremantle WA 6959


Mobile 0408 053 537


Mr Phillip Smith BEM

PO Box 541

Fremantle WA 6959


Phone 0403 277 614

Sub Section Postal Address:-

Hon. Secretary

City of Fremantle Sub Section

Naval Association of Australia

PO Box 541

Fremantle WA 6959

City of Fremantle Sub Section meets at the Navy Club, 64 High Street (corner of Pakenham Street), Fremantle  on the first Saturday of each month at 1100 (11:00am) excepting the month of January. 

Visitors are very welcome.   Please come and join in with us and enjoy our mateship.


The Federal Executive granted the Sub Section charter upon its inauguration on 1st January, 1945.

The Club House was officially opened on 17th February, 1948  in  Cliff Street, Fremantle and the first security measures were keys and money to be left with the Dockyard Policeman at Naval Staff Office.

At that time it had 125 members.

Club Rules were presented to members on 9th March 1948, pending approval of the Licencing Court.

On 10th May, 1948, after the Club had been re-constituted in order to comply with the Conditions of the Licensing Act, application for Liquor Licence was made.  The Navy Club was formed.

The first major expansion of the Club took place when the lower part of 40 Cliff Street was taken over by the Club on 1st June, 1953.

In 1956 the Masonic Hall in Marine Terrace and an adjoining vacant block of land came on the market.  The members agreed that it would be an excellent situation for a new club house and the Secretary of the Navy Club was instructed to do his utmost to buy the site.

In April 1957 the agreement was signed for the purchase of both Hall and vacant land for the sum of 10,500 pounds.

The members bar in the new club house was built in the form of a boat.

On 4th October 1958 the new Club House was officially opened by the NOIC Western Australia Area, Commodore J.C.Morrow.

During the next 35 years, many shipmates passed on or found it increasingly difficult to visit the Club House.

By early 1990 the upkeep of the Heritage Listed Hall, became too much for the remaining members to cover.

Through intense negotiation by the Committee of the Day, arrangements were made to purchase the top two floors at our current location, and in December 1993 the Navy Club and Sub Section’s  Charter were moved here.

At the current premises we are very fortunate in having use of a large function room and bar on the 2nd floor and a members observation deck and bar above.

The function room is used for ships or branch reunions, Conferences and various Association meetings.  It contains a memorial wall and displays.

The function room has enabled the Navy Club to diversify with weekly Sunday Jazz afternoons provided by Jazz Fremantle and open to the public.

The Navy Club has 10 dart teams playing competition on Monday and Wednesday evenings.

The Navy Club is also home to a number of Service and Ex-Service Organisations.

The function room is also available for hire by members.

Several weddings are held each year along with members birthdays and engagements.